In the second post of articles about updating ESXi 5.1 to ESXi 5.5, I will cover the interactive upgrade.
In simple words, interactive upgrade is very similar to the installation of ESXi. Without wasting time let’s upgrade ESXi 5.1 interactively.
- Insert CD with ESXi image or bootable USB drive into your host.
- Reboot your host with CD/USB.
- Select boot from ESXi 5.5 Installer.
- Click Enter to continue.
- Accept End User License Agreement (EULA).
- Installer is searching for previously installed ESXi.
- Select your installed ESXi.
- Choose (X)Upgrade ESXi, preserve VMFS datastore.
- Confirm upgrade by pressing F11.
- Wait for upgrade to finish.
- After successful upgrade (we don’t have any other choice 😉 ) remove installation media and press Enter to reboot host.
- It worked. ESXi 5.1 was upgraded to latest version which is ESXi 5.5.