In the last post, we upgraded ESXi using Interactive Installer https://www.wojcieh.net/how-to-upgrade-esxi-6-0-to-esxi-6-5-using-interactive-installer/. In Today post I will guide you through updating ESXi using esxcli.
Fortunately for us, we just need to download ESXi Offline Bundle from VMware site. Once it is downloaded we can start to upgrade ESXi 6.0 to ESXi 6.5 using esxcli.
- The first step is to upload Offline Bundle to datastore ESXi can access.
- Upload the zipped file to datastore.
- Open your favorite SSH client and login to ESXi. Go to datastore where ESXi Offline Bundle is located.
- To safely proceed with an upgrade I suggest to put ESXi in maintenance mode. To do it use this command
Shell1esxcli system maintenanceMode set --enable on
- To check what packages will be upgraded it is suggested to to test upgrade. In order to do it we can perform “dry run” upgrade.
Shell1esxcli software vib update --depot=/vmfs/volumes/NFSCompute/ESXi650-201704001.zip --dry-run
- To update ESXi simply remove –dry-run option and wait.
- The last step is to reboot ESXi host. After few minutes we have fully functional upgraded ESXi 6.5
In this post, I showed how to upgrade ESXi 6.0 to ESXi 6.5 using esxcli.
My experience and skills have been proven by leading vendor certifications like AWS, Alibaba Cloud, VMware, and Microsoft. I contribute to IT community and I received VMware vExpert 2014 - 2017 and VMware vExpert NSX 2017 Award.
My blog wojcieh.net - was voted #43 in Top vBlog 2017 contest!
Do what you love, and you’ll never work another day in your life.
Latest posts by Wojciech Marusiak (see all)
- Top vBlog 2018 is there! - 20 November, 2018
- Zentyal – my new Homelab Swiss Army Knife - 10 October, 2018
- Send VMware backups to the cloud – Altaro Offsite Copies to an Azure Cloud Storage - 18 September, 2018