In this post I will show you how easy it is to upgrade VMware ESXi Server from version 5.* to 6.0.
Interactive Upgrade is fairly easy process and it straight forward. Let’s start with mounting ISO to your server with ESXi 5.*. In my case it is nested ESXi installation, but process looks exactly the same.
Take a back-up
Before upgrade I suggest to execute backup of your ESXi configuration. We all know that sometimes it is easier to reinstall ESXi from scratch and not spend long hours digging in logs.
In order to take backup login to host using SSH or local shell and execute following command.
As output you will see link to download backup. You can find it as well on local storage in /scratch/downloads directory as configBundle-<HostFQDN>.tgz.
After we mount ISO to server we will start upgrade process.
This is my server before upgrade.
- In remote management console hit enter or wait 10 seconds to boot installer automatically.
- Click (Enter) Continue to start upgrade process.
- Accept End User License Agreement (EULA) and click F11.
- Wait few seconds to scan available devices. Disk where VMware ESXi is installed, will be presented. Select your drive and click Enter.
- Select Upgrade and click OK.
- On the next screen confirm upgrade by hitting F11.
- Wait for upgrade to be done.
- After few minutes upgrade will be done. Remove installation media and reboot server by hitting enter.
- After reboot host will be booted and we can consider our upgrade as successful.
- After reconnecting host in vCenter Server we see as well that it is upgraded from version 5.5 to version 6.0.
In the next post I will describe VMware ESXi 5.* upgrade to version 6 using esxcli.
My experience and skills have been proven by leading vendor certifications like AWS, Alibaba Cloud, VMware, and Microsoft. I contribute to the IT community and I received VMware vExpert 2014 - 2019, vExpert Pro and VMware vExpert NSX 2017 Award.
My blog wojcieh.net - was voted #76 in Top vBlog 2018 contest!
Do what you love, and you’ll never work another day in your life.
Latest posts by Wojciech Marusiak (see all)
- Top vBlog 2018 is there! - 20 November, 2018
- Zentyal – my new Homelab Swiss Army Knife - 10 October, 2018
- Send VMware backups to the cloud – Altaro Offsite Copies to an Azure Cloud Storage - 18 September, 2018