After many Years of serving all vSphere users, VMware announced that vSphere Client (called, fat client, C#) will be not supported with the release of vSphere 6.5 and never Goodbye vSphere Client for Windows (C#) – Hello HTML5. In Today post vSphere Client (HTML5) overview, I would like to walk you through the installation of HTML 5 client.
vSphere HTML5 Client installation
vSphere HTML5 Client at the time of writing the blog post is still released as VMware Fling. This means mainly that, there is no support in case something doesn’t work.
vSphere HTML5 Fling can be download from VMware website: https://labs.vmware.com/flings.
- Download vSphere HTML5 fling from VMware website – https://labs.vmware.com/flings/vsphere-html5-web-client.
- We will need OVA file and in my case as I am using vCenter Server on Windows with embedded PSC server-configure.bat script.
- Once downloaded login to your vCenter Server and execute a script from elevated prompt. There will be three files:
- Deploy vSphere HTML5 Web Client OVA appliance and power it on.
- Once deployed login to it via ssh and create following directories:
- Copy files:
- store.jks to /etc/vmware/vsphere-client/
- ds.properties to /etc/vmware/vsphere-client/config/
- webclient.properties to /etc/vmware/vsphere-client/vsphere-client/
- Once files are copied the only thing which is left is to start vSphere Client service. Type /etc/init.d/vsphere-client start.
- In browser open appliance IP: https://IP_ADDRESS:9443
- After a moment nice and fast HTML5 UI will be displayed.
I strongly encourage you to try out vSphere HTML5 Web Client. It is magnificent work done by VMware coders and I could only summarize it with one sentene – “Why so late?!?”
My experience and skills have been proven by leading vendor certifications like AWS, Alibaba Cloud, VMware, and Microsoft. I contribute to the IT community and I received VMware vExpert 2014 - 2019, vExpert Pro and VMware vExpert NSX 2017 Award.
My blog wojcieh.net - was voted #76 in Top vBlog 2018 contest!
Do what you love, and you’ll never work another day in your life.
Latest posts by Wojciech Marusiak (see all)
- Top vBlog 2018 is there! - 20 November, 2018
- Zentyal – my new Homelab Swiss Army Knife - 10 October, 2018
- Send VMware backups to the cloud – Altaro Offsite Copies to an Azure Cloud Storage - 18 September, 2018