One of my recent tasks was to upgrade firmware version of virtual connect. I would like to share with you procedure how to do it.
In order to do that you need two things:
- Virtual Connect Support Utility. You can download it from HP website: http://h20564.www2.hp.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?docId=emr_na-c04264271
- Virtual Connect Firmware
Backup your domain configuration
I strongly recommend to take backup of your domain / configuration if you will have some problems. In order to do it login to Virtual Connect Manager.
- Click Backup / Restore and then click button Backup Configuration.
- Wait for the backup file to be generated and save on the disk.
Virtual Connect Support Utility can be installed on Windows or Linux operating system. In my case I have it installed on Windows and I will use it in this post.
To upgrade firmware first you need to download it and then start VCSU utility. For convenience I put firmware into VCSU folder.
- Navigate to directory where is it installed and double click vcsu.exe.
- Enter update.
- Provide Onboard AdministratorIP Address.
- Provide Onboard Administrator Administrator username.
- Provide Onboard Administrator Administrator password.
- Put location of firmware.
- Click enter twice and when you are asked about activation order proceed with default order(odd-even) or select manually how do you want to do it.
- If you have VCM with Fibre Channel take same approach like you did before about activation order according to your needs.
- Please enter time in minutes between activating and rebooting VC modules. I suggest to have at least 5 to 10 minutes between flashing modules.
- Do the same for Fibre Channel modules.
- You will be asked for Virtual Connect Module administrative credentials. Provide username and password and click enter.
- You will see summary of your existing configuration. Confirm upgrade by entering Yes.
- Process will take some time so be patient and wait.
- In my case it took 51 minutes to perform update.
- After update your browser session will be disconnected and you need to login again.