Imagine that with just few clicks you could speed up your slow website – sounds very tempting but is it really possible? Trust me it is! Sounds like I am trying to sell magical cure for hangover or German used diesel car with 50000 km which was driven by old grandpa only to church and back.
Reality is quite simple – Google made a really good work to implement websites performance best practices into one piece of software which is really easy to use. Of course what Google prepared is well known for all website coders and geeks. For normal people who prefer to click and forget this is very useful. You can read more about website best practices https://developers.google.com/speed/docs/insights/rules.
What to do master – teach me!
Hold your horses young padawan. Here are prerequisites you need to fulfill:
- your server must have Apache 2.x installed
- if you are running CentOS/Fedora (32-bit and 64-bit) or Debian/Ubuntu (32-bit and 64-bit) and you want to install RPM’s / DEB’s download them from this page https://developers.google.com/speed/docs/mod_pagespeed/download
- if you prefer compiling sources follow this link https://developers.google.com/speed/docs/mod_pagespeed/build_from_source
Nonstandard httpd config files
Important notice for servers with non-standard configuration files. If for any reason your httpd config is located in different location for example in /etc/httpd/conf/httpd.conf (rather than in /etc/httpd/conf.d/)
Then you need to load mod_pagesped by modifying /etc/httpd/conf/extra/httpd-includes.conf by this: Include /etc/httpd/conf.d/pagespeed.conf
After you loaded mod_pagespeed check if it is loaded correctly (in CentOS apachectl -M) and now it is time to configure goodies.
I will share optimizations I enabled on my webserver:
After that overall speed of website is very fast. It is not only personal feeling but tests like Pingdom Tools, Google PageSpeed Insights, Yslow also confirm that. I hope you will at least try it – it will not harm you, it will not take long to implement – but trust me results are incredible and you will not regret it.
Documentation is located here http://code.google.com/p/modpagespeed/
My experience and skills have been proven by leading vendor certifications like AWS, Alibaba Cloud, VMware, and Microsoft. I contribute to IT community and I received VMware vExpert 2014 - 2017 and VMware vExpert NSX 2017 Award.
My blog wojcieh.net - was voted #43 in Top vBlog 2017 contest!
Do what you love, and you’ll never work another day in your life.
Latest posts by Wojciech Marusiak (see all)
- Top vBlog 2018 is there! - 20 November, 2018
- Zentyal – my new Homelab Swiss Army Knife - 10 October, 2018
- Send VMware backups to the cloud – Altaro Offsite Copies to an Azure Cloud Storage - 18 September, 2018