In the second post of articles about updating ESXi 5.1 to ESXi 5.5, I will cover the interactive upgrade.
In simple words, interactive upgrade is very similar to the installation of ESXi. Without wasting time let’s upgrade ESXi 5.1 interactively.
- Insert CD with ESXi image or bootable USB drive into your host.
- Reboot your host with CD/USB.
- Select boot from ESXi 5.5 Installer.
- Click Enter to continue.
- Accept End User License Agreement (EULA).
- Installer is searching for previously installed ESXi.
- Select your installed ESXi.
- Choose (X)Upgrade ESXi, preserve VMFS datastore.
- Confirm upgrade by pressing F11.
- Wait for upgrade to finish.
- After successful upgrade (we don’t have any other choice 😉 ) remove installation media and press Enter to reboot host.
- It worked. ESXi 5.1 was upgraded to latest version which is ESXi 5.5.
Series of articles about upgrading ESXi 5.1 to 5.5
My experience and skills have been proven by leading vendor certifications like AWS, Alibaba Cloud, VMware, and Microsoft. I contribute to the IT community and I received VMware vExpert 2014 - 2019, vExpert Pro and VMware vExpert NSX 2017 Award.
My blog wojcieh.net - was voted #76 in Top vBlog 2018 contest!
Do what you love, and you’ll never work another day in your life.
Latest posts by Wojciech Marusiak (see all)
- Top vBlog 2018 is there! - 20 November, 2018
- Zentyal – my new Homelab Swiss Army Knife - 10 October, 2018
- Send VMware backups to the cloud – Altaro Offsite Copies to an Azure Cloud Storage - 18 September, 2018